Identity theft is when someone uses your personal information to make purchases, access financial accounts, apply for loans, open new credit cards, receive medical care and more. Identity thieves often get started by gaining access to your Social Security number, account credentials, credit card information, etc. Here are some identity theft prevention tips:
- Know who you are communicating with if someone asks for your personal information
- Never open email attachments from unknown sources
- Never share account information without verifying the source who is requesting it
- Monitor your accounts
- Safeguard recycling bins and outgoing mail
- Check your credit report at least annually
- Use online bill-pay services and electronic account statements. Your personal information is safer in online banking than in a mailbox.