University of Michigan Credit Union knows the importance of good savings habits at any age. That’s why we offer several programs to help develop these valuable skills. Discover how your son or daughter can enroll in one of our many programs that show youth extra ways to save and shop. Check out our Penny Pioneer, Financial Fitness, and Independent Edge accounts. Youth and their parents may explore our online magazines below to learn about fun ways to earn and save money.
Start your kids out on the right financial path. Penny Pioneer's (kids 12 and under) enjoy:
- Dividends that are compounded and paid monthly. No annual fee.
- A $5 bonus when they reach $200.00 saved.
- A goody bag full of fun credit union items for just joining.
- A birthday card, newsletters, invitations to several special events, and may participate in periodic contests. Contests are announced in the Penny Pioneer News, sent four times a year to the Penny Pioneer's home.
- Ability to set-up direct deposit, automatic transfer, or payroll deduction right to your child's account.
- Federal regulation limits the number of pre-authorized or third party transfers from this account to six per month, excluding loan payments or transfers made at a teller location.
Visit any branch location to open a Penny Pioneer account today!
- Children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and cousins (age 12 and under) of current members are eligible.
- Simply bring in $5.00 for the initial deposit and the child’s Social Security number.
- The parent or legal guardian must be the primary joint owner on the account. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, or any other adult (relative or friend) are eligible to be a secondary joint owner.