University of Michigan Credit Union knows the importance of good savings habits at any age. That’s why we offer several programs to help develop these valuable skills. Discover how your son or daughter can enroll in one of our many programs that show youth extra ways to save and shop. Check out our Financial Little League, Financial Minor League, and Financial Major League accounts.
Financial Major League (Ages 15-18)
UMCU's Financial capability for youth is knowing how to spend wisely, prioritize savings and plan for the future. Educating teens about money is essential to help them avoid common financial vulnerabilities and build economic stability. Students will leave UMCU's Financial Major League workshops prepared for the responsibilities of managing their own money.
First Inning Topics:
- How to safely and correctly use checking and savings accounts
- How to develop a plan for saving and spending
- How to make financial decisions objectively and not based on peer pressure
Second Inning Topics:
- How credit impacts your financial future, including student loans
- Resources available to help with employment and earning potential
- How to safeguard financial information, including avoiding financial fraud and identity theft
All UMCU teens will be given the option to:
- Open a checking account with a debit card (with a parent or legal guardian as joint)
- Register for online and mobile banking
- Apply for a Visa credit card with $500 credit limit (with a qualified co-borrower)
Help your teen hit a financial grand slam by enrolling them today!
*Teen members can open a checking account at any time with a parent or legal guardian as joint owner. Attending the financial education workshop is not a requirement.